The End


This is it, the end of my German adventure.

Before we go any further, I want to thank all of you who read my blog over the last year. This is not only my very last post, it is also my 60th and what started out simply as a way to keep track of the day to day stuff quickly became a way for me to not only share my adventure with you, but to save it for myself for when, years down the road, I want to look back.

I find it rather hard to believe that it’s all over and that I’m home for at least a year. I keep expecting to wake up in my bed in the StuSie and hop on a tram and go to Uni, but I know that’s not going to happen no matter how much I wish it could.

Is there a word for homesickness for somewhere that isn’t home? Freiburgweh? Maybe.

Sunday evening I took a break from packing and went over to Mari’s place to have one last dinner with some friends. They made some swedish potato and fish casserole which was pretty good. It was honestly just nice to get away from the stress of packing and clearing out my room.

Monday was a long day. The guy in charge of my flat came over at 8am to check the room and take my keys and then I headed down to the bahnhof to catch my train to Frankfurt.

I got the feeling that something was off about halfway into the trip. I noticed that the board with the destinations said Frankfurt main train station when I needed to go to the airport, but I told myself not to worry, it’d work out. Well, turns out my suspicions were correct. I got off the train in downtown Frankfurt and took the S-Bahn to the airport. I was so good on time however, that it really wasn’t anything more than a slight inconvenience.

After finally making it to the airport, I checked my bags at Icelandair and was told that my plane would be 20 minutes late but not to worry. I got through security and started to wait. I waited and waited and finally, 45 minutes before the plane was scheduled to leave a gate was announced, so I went there and waited some more. The flight was supposed to leave at 2pm, but 2pm rolled around and there wasn’t even a plane at the gate so we waited some more.

To make what felt like an insanely long story short, we didn’t leave Frankfurt until 3pm. This wouldn’t have been a problem except my layover in Iceland was only an hour, and seeing that we left an hour late, I was pretty much resigned to the fact that I’d be spending a little more time in Iceland than I had bargained for. The flight there however, was really nice. The middle seat was open and the girl sitting on the aisle was really nice so we chatted for a while. Also, it was one of the smoothest flights I’ve ever been on.

We landed in Iceland at the exact time my plane for Minneapolis was supposed to be leaving. The stewardess however announced that all planes were waiting for us, and that the passengers who were flying to Minneapolis (me) needed to disembark the plane first. What was supposed to be an hour layover was literally less than two minutes. I’ve never ran to a plane before.

The flight from Iceland was uneventful and smooth which is all I really need. Icelandair doesn’t have the best reputation, but let me tell you what, I will never say bad things about them again. I had literally two minutes in Iceland to catch my plane and despite that, all my luggage showed up on time in Minneapolis. If they can do that, the fact that they don’t feed you at all is completely forgiven.

It was a long day getting back home. Whenever I drive past the airport now, all I want to do is hop on a plane and go on an adventure.

The last couple days have been spent chilling at home and with my friends. I saw my Baubie and Zadie yesterday and am playing golf with my gramma and grampa later this afternoon. It’s nice to see family and friends again.

Just because I’m back doesn’t mean I’m all done with work. I still have two term papers to finish up and there’s still plenty of little loose ends that need tying up. I get all the stress and none of the fun of being abroad. At least the subjects of my term papers are pretty interesting.

My laptop charger broke again last night, so I ran to best buy this morning and bought a new one. That’s the last time I get something like that off ebay. I forgot that stores are open on Sundays here, I thought I would have had to wait until tomorrow to get my charger. That was a pleasant surprise.

I guess this is the end of the very last blog. I’ve had so much fun writing this and having a little weekly companion that ending it is honestly rather tough. The end of this blog is the definite end of my time abroad and I hate to say goodbye.

If I could ask you a favor, just to satisfy my curiosity I would really love to know who read my blog. Leave a comment, send me an email or let me know next time I see you if you’d like. I’d like to hear what you have to say.

After eleven months and sixty posts,



3 Responses to “The End”

  1. Robbi Says:

    I have enjoyed reading each and every one of your blogs, whether or not they had photos (although I liked seeing the photos, too).

  2. Mark Bennett Says:

    I’ve read every one. Made me nostalgic for Germany.

  3. gramma Says:

    dearest sarah,
    you know I have been your greatest fan ever. I LOVED reading them all, they were very well done. great command of the english language, sentence structure was fabulous. see you soon, (like tomorrow at the Mall of America) or the Mall of Amercaca as you called it when you were 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: